WELCOME!

Mind is turbulent like wind but when held immobile through powerful concentration can unlock the secrets of the universe.

This is a rendezvous for contemplating about human existence, mysteries of the mind, and importance of wisdom in daily life. Perhaps when we look at the larger picture, when we are reminded of the true meaning of life, we can strive for a better world filled with understanding, mutual respect and peace.

Thursday, May 8, 2008

Grain and chafe

I was sitting on the prayer mat after Fajr prayer (morning prayer) today when it occurred to me suddenly that the kind of people that a person is surrounded by and the situation a person finds himself in, both good and bad are there for a reason.

I think it is meant to be an education, a way to come closer to God, to enrich us with what we lack in ourselves, to sharpen a character trait in us which is yet to blossom. The faster we realize this and learn the lessons with enthusiasm, the easier the transition will become. I find this true in my own life.

I also learned the hard way that running away from people or situations does not help as it haunts you wherever you go. I tried at first to flee if I could not tolerate someone but to my consternation found myself in the company of other people with the same character flaws that I was trying so hard to abscond from. When I realized I had to take the bull by its horns, I could forge in me a certain quality that I had hitherto lacked and did not know was vital to my spiritual journey (i.e. life). Nowadays when I meet a challenging person, I do not hesitate to recognize his value in making me a better person and I try not to shy away from him (better said than done).

I would be content if I can remember God always for in the remembrance of God alone do hearts find true pleasure, everything else only temporarily excites but will eventually become a burden (again from experience!!!). So life is the great book that Allah unfolds before my eyes and I am a humble student trying to learn more.

No comments:


Please do not hesitate to leave your valuable comments.

I look forward to reading your thoughts and gaining new ideas.